Potato Croquette with Margherita® Pepperoni
This distinctive combination of pepperoni, potatoes and authentic Italian seasonings makes a wonderful entrée, side or appetizer - and so easy to make!
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, whole, Idaho variety, or similar in starch content
- 1/2 cup Margherita® pepperoni, minced
- 3 egg yolks, beaten, reserve whites for later use
- 4 tablespoons grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat‑leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- to taste Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups fine bread crumbs
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes for 25‑30 minutes, or until done but not splitting. Remove from water and cool. Peel and pass them through a fine food mill.
- Combine the potato mix with Margherita® pepperoni and the eggs. Blend well. Add Pecorino, mozzarella, garlic and parsley to the mix. Continue blending. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- With a 2 oz. ice cream scoop, shape the mixture into small egg-like shapes about 2 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inchs thick.
- Roll the croquettes in the lightly beaten egg white, then in the bread crumbs.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry the croquettes. When it is very hot (bubbles around the croquette), fry as many as will fit comfortably in the pan until crisp and golden all over, about 3‑4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on several layers of paper towels.
- Finish with a twist of pepperoni around the croquette and top with small sprig of fresh, flat-leaf parsley. Serve hot or warm.
Try these other great recipes from Benucci’s Restaurant